Monday, September 14, 2009

catch up?


Lets play a little catch up! So I have survived week and weekend 1 at the Accademia. Still happy. I'm watching a sheet of rain pour down outside the window--something I was not expecting at all! My first commedia class starts in half an hour. So excited! It's 4 hours long, and I think we have it every day this week. Alright conservatory training, time to get started!


fresh fig from our street


Every few weeks we have a Cabaret, which is basically a fancy-schmancy name for an Open Mic that the teachers come to also. The teachers also theoretically invite their friends and other artists from town, but I didn't see too many strangers. We were told this was our way to introduce ourselves as artistic members of the Accademia. The musicians had it easy--they have so much material already! All the theater students struggled to find something appropriate. Many sang, someone did acrobatics, and many didn't perform. I really didn't want to miss this opportunity to introduce myself to everyone, so I decided to do my short go-to Beatrice monologue at the last minute. At first I was afraid I'd be "that Shakespeare girl, ugh", but I think it was short and sweet enough that it ended up being a good decision. Although its rather unflattering, here's a picture of the monologue.



On Saturday, we were all going a bit stir crazy in the villa. All the theater kids decided to not travel, and stay at home this weekend to get used to it. But I am terrible at relaxing, and all I wanted to do was go out and explore! Last weekend staying in one place for sure. So, despite the thunder that began to growl in the afternoon, I decided to go on an adventure at the aqueduct. My friends Josh, Elizabeth, and I decided we'd climb atop the landmark we walk by many times a day. We had noticed there was a way to get up on one side. There it is!


Needless to say, we didn't really think about how high up the aqueduct would be at the highest places!! I didn't even think about how high up we were until I stared at the ground for a while and then back at the area under my feet. Then, lets just say, vertigo! All three of us had to stop at one point and regain our balance. On top it was quite wide, and we did not feel at all precarious, but it was definitely scary when we realized how high up and how far from either end we still were!
the view from on top

look at those majestic clouds!! and josh and elizabeth!


yup, people in the cars were staring at us. we were on top of the bridge they were driving under


I climbed that! What an adventure!

It was particularly adventurous when we got to the other side and said there was NO WAY we were going to walk across it in the other direction to get back! So we had to find a way out of this fenced-in area with enormously tall grass and a falling apart house. I found a section of gate that was climbable, so we survived! Hurray!

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment