Saturday, September 5, 2009

sono arrivata!

I've arrived! And it is gorgeous, absolutely bellisima!

Getting here was exhausting. 7 or so hour plane ride. then drag huge suitcases through airport maze to train station #1. take 1/2 hour train to train station #2. drag huge suitcases through train station #2 to find the correct track after given wrong information at least twice (includes lugging two (at least) 50 pound bags up and down multiple flights of stairs). So that was fun. Trains and train stations are NOT designed for people with any sort of suitcases. that was Brutal.

I was so happy to leave Rome and the muggy city behind, even though I was unsure I was on the right train up until they called the stop for Arezzo 2 hours later (no one ever checked my ticket!). When I finally saw the sign for Arezzo, my exhaustion from the previous 12 hours of travelling disappeared, and I totally became an excited toddler. I was literally grinning to myself (even up the 3 flights of stairs from the binario (train track) to the uscita (exit)). And I was very glad when the taxi driver put my bags into the car for me, even though he didn't exactly know where the villa was.


The city is much more city-er than I imagined! There are apartment buildings, cafes, bars, and tabacchi on every corner; narrow winding streets and piazzas abound. A portion of the city is walled and absolutely medieval in atmosphere and character. When I walked into town later, I kept thinking "ohhh my god I want to LIVE here.... oh wait, I do!!!" Best realization ever. I'll wait to after tourist season to really try to photograph the town, but this is the central square.


So tomorrow is this huge annual JOUST festival in Arezzo. The city is divided into 4 quarters, and they all compete in jousting. I guess they joust against an automated jousting machine instead of against each other because too many people got hurt (oops!) but it is on horses with armor and it looks like nothing much has changed since the 1500's. Thats why there are so many flags on the building. And because of this festival, the town is more alive than any other time of the year. All the teachers here warned us not to get used to all the people and excitement--they said this festvial always sets everyone's expectations too high for Arezzo nightlife.

I can't say anything too exciting has happened yet, but just living and being here itself is exciting. The view out my window is to die for (thats the picture above... eeeeh!!), we have our own vineyard in the backyard, the food is fresh and delicious, and I've liked everyone I've met. My Italian can only improve, but I've gotten across what I've needed to. There's a music program happening concurrently, so while I'm typing out here--under the yellow arches of the villa's patio, looking at the rolling Tuscan hills in the back ground-- I hear beautiful snippets of music from every direction. It just adds to the magic.

Today we became oriented and heard overviews of the classes. I'm so ready to dive in and get started. The teachers are from all over Europe and have such diverse training. They all have such a great attitude towards theater--take what you can glean and put it in your basket of skills. Don't rely on just one method. And we have so many opportunities to create and perform. And they want to put Commedia dell'Arte in a contemporary context to see what new light it can shine on the way we view the world. And they couldn't stress enough how important it is to go into the city and get lost and explore this new culture and meet the people here. How much more perfect could this get?!






1 comment:

  1. We are reading this from New Hampshire with Carry and Joe where we recently got internet access. The blog looks great and really gives us a feel for your experiences. We are jealous already! Looking forward to reading about the jousting.

    ReplyDelete